How do you take off a bike chain without pliers?
Position the bike chain so that it is bridged across two solid supports such as blocks of wood or two wrenches. Take a punch tool and place it over one of the rivets in the chain. Use a hammer to push the rivet out and separate the chain to remove it. This method can also be used to shorten a new chain if necessary.
If you have a standard chain with no master link: Seat the chain in the chain tool, with the pin of the chain tool aligned with a pin in the chain. Turn the handle of the chain tool until you push the pin out far enough that you can break the chain.
How do you change a chain without a chain tool?
Here’s how to go about it:
- Put the chain across two wood blocks or any other solid supports to form a bridge-like pattern.
- Take the punching tool and put it on one of the chain’s rivets.
- Then take a hammer and use it to push out the rivet.
- That’ll separate your chain to allow you to remove it easily.
How do you break a chain without a bolt cutter?
If you don’t have bolt cutters or you have a hardened metal chain that bolt cutters won’t cut through, you can use a saw instead. There are a wide variety of saws that will effectively cut through a chain.
Pick a saw to use.
- Metal grinder, such as an angle grinder.
- Reciprocating saw.
- Coping saw.
Shortening the chain
In order to shorten the link without a chain tool, you need an alternative tool like a hammer, pliers or thin nail. They will assist you in pushing the pin easily. You can position the chain over a socket, and hit it with a hammer.