What does a motorcycle VIN number tell you?
By using either the DMV or any of the sites offering a vehicle history report, performing a VIN check can tell you if the motorcycle has been reported stolen, the title history (who has owned it), if it’s a salvaged vehicle, any recalls/warranties, and any reported accidents it might have been in.
How do you tell what year a motorcycle is?
How to Find Motorcycle Years by VIN Numbers
- Locate the VIN on the motorcycle or on the motorcycle’s title.
- Starting from the left-hand side of the sequence, count to the 10th character in the 17 character sequence. Note this character. For example, in the sequence 1KMH78978XA89B328, the 10th character is the letter X.
How do I decode a motorcycle VIN?
The first character of the VIN tells us which region the motorcycle was manufactured in. For example a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 indicates your motorcycle was made in North America while J, K, L, M, N, P, or R means it was made in Asia.
What does the 8th digit in a VIN number mean?
Vehicle Description Section
The fourth through eighth digits describe your vehicle’s model, body type, restraint system, transmission type, and engine code. The ninth digit is the check digit, which is used to detect fraudulent VINs.
How do you decode a VIN number?
How to decode a VIN?
- Digits 1 through 3 combined is the WMI, (World Manufacturer Identifier).
- Digits 4 through 8 represent the vehicle descriptor section.
- Digit 9 is a check digit.
- Digits 10 through 17 is the Vehicle Identifier Section.
- The 11th digit is the manufacturer’s plant code.
How do you tell the year of a motorcycle by the VIN?
The 10th character in the 17-character VIN represents the vehicle model-year.
- This standard applies to vehicles built in or after 1981. …
- Note: VINs do not include the letters I (i), O (o), Q (q), U (u) or Z (z), or the number 0, so that they will not be confused with similar looking numbers/letters.
Can you check motorcycles on Carfax?
Carfax can be used only on certain motorcycles, and their database does not cover all VIN numbers. They clearly state on their website that they do not specialize in anything else but for cars and light trucks after the 17-character standardization of the VIN number.
How do you read the year on a VIN number?
VIN’s starting with 1, 4, and 5 are manufactured in the United States. The third number or letter is used by the vehicle manufacturer to identify what kind of vehicle it is: car, truck, bus, etc. The 10th character of the VIN indicates the model year.